- Dish type
- Celebration cakes
- Birthday cake
- Kids' birthday cakes
- Birthday cakes for boys
Any kid who loves LEGO® will love this birthday cake.
1 person made this
- 4 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 190ml sparkling orange fruit drink, such as Fanta®
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- To decorate
- 210g chocolate covered sweets, such as M&M's®
- 500g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 drops assorted food colouring
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:1hr30min › Ready in:2hr30min
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line a rimmed baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Combine eggs, sugar, and vanilla sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric blender until foamy. Add oil and orange fruit drink and stir to combine.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and slowly stir into mixture until well combined. Spread mixture on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Sort chocolate covered sweets by the colours of your food colour assortment, such as yellow, green, orange, blue, and red.
- Cut cooled cake into evenly sized rectangles, about 4x8cm, like oversized LEGO® pieces. Gauge the size in relationship to the chocolate covered sweets; 8 pieces should fit onto each to resemble a large LEGO® piece.
- Mix about 1/2 cup icing sugar with enough lemon juice in a bowl to make a thick icing. Colour with a couple drops of food colouring so icing turns a deep colour. Brush icing onto 2 or 3 cake pieces and arrange 8 chocolate covered sweets pieces with the matching colour on top. Allow to set.
- Continue with the next colour and the next set of chocolate covered sweets in the same colour until all cake pieces are decorated. Allow to set.