- 3 1/2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 11 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup whole-milk yogurt
- 5 sweet apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in processor. Add 8 tablespoons butter; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to large bowl. Add yogurt; mix with fork until dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead 5 turns to combine. Roll into 12x5-inch rectangle. Cut into 10 squares. Arrange squares on prepared baking sheet, spacing apart. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool 15 minutes.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar. Add cranberries; sauté until cranberries pop, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer fruit to bowl. Add 1/3 cup cream to juices in skillet; boil until liquid reduces to 1/4 cup. Return fruit to skillet; stir to coat.
Beat 1 2/3 cups cream, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and vanilla extract in medium bowl to soft peaks. Cut shortcakes horizontally in half. Place 1 bottom half in each of 10 bowls. Top with fruit, cream, and shortcake tops.